Candidiasis is a disease caused by species of the yeast-like fungus, Candida sp, most commonly Candida albicans. It affects poultry, pigs and ruminants.
Candida albicans is a normal inhabitant of the digestive system. There might be an overgrowth of the microorganism, and therefore a pathological situation, in the following circumstances:
- Use of various antibiotics. More often after antibiotic abuse or prolonged treatments.
- Unsanitary drinking facilities.
- Wounds in the digestive mucosa.
- Immunosuppressive drugs or diseases.
In poultry, lesions are most frequently found in the mouth, esophagus and crop, more rarely in proventriculus, and consist of thickened mucosa and whitish, raised pseudomembranes.
In pigs, circular, white masses that can be easily removed can be found in oral, esophageal, and gastric mucosa.
Diarrhea, reduced feed intake and delayed growth are common signs in all species. Young animals are more susceptible to the disease.
Diagnosis is made by observation of the lesions and can be confirmed by histology and microbiology. Microbiological culture of the microorganism alone is not diagnostic of the disease, as Candida sp is normally present in the flora of the animals.
The effectiveness of administering copper sulfate by drinking water is not clear. Nystatin or fluconazole are considered the treatments of choice.
Plant extracts contained in products within PlusProtect line may contribute to a faster recovery.
Improving sanitation and minimizing antibiotic use help reduce the incidence of candidiasis.
Products within PlusProtect line can help to prevent the disease. They contain plant extracts such as garlic, cinnamon or marjoram extracts that show ability to inhibit the growth of Candida albicans.
The pictures show the ability of several products to inhibit the growth of Candida albicans in Sabouraud chloramphenicol medium:
- PlusProtect Digestive®, a liquid product containing cinnamon and marjoram, shows complete inhibition of Candida at the recommended doses (1 ml/L, 0.5 ml/L, 0.25 ml/L). PlusProtect Digestive® is given to poultry through drinking water as a natural growth promoter and to prevent digestive diseases caused by fungi and bacteria.
- GrowthPlus®, a powder product containing cinnamon, garlic and organic acids among others, shows complete inhibition of Candida at the recommended doses (2 kg/ton, 1 kg/ton, 0.5 kg/ton). GrowthPlus® is given to poultry, rabbits and aquaculture species of all ages mixed with feed. It is indicated as a natural growth promoter and to prevent digestive diseases caused by fungi and bacteria.
- PigletPlus®, a powder product containing cinnamon, garlic and organic acids among others, shows complete inhibition of Candida at the recommended doses (2 kg/ton, 1 kg/ton, 0.5 kg/ton).
PigletPlus® is mixed with piglets’ feed. It is indicated as a natural growth promoter and to prevent digestive diseases caused by fungi and bacteria.
For more information, do not hesitate to contact us through email@example.com
Certain health statements may not be applicable in your geographical region. Product claims may differ based upon your government requirements.
Candida picture was found here http://www.microbeworld.org/component/jlibrary/?view=article&id=1097
Copyright © 2014 PlusVet Animal Health